Nungambakkam

Nungambakkam is one of the oldest parts of Chennai. It formed the western limits of Madras until the 1960s, and it was part of Madras since the 18th century. According to K.V. Raman's The Early History of the Madras Region, Nungambakkam features in an 11th-century copper plate pertaining to Rajendra Chola. According to the Chennai Corporation's records,Nungambakkam village, which was under a Mughal firman, was handed over to the British along with four other villages (Tiruvatiyoor, Kathiwakam, Vyasarpady and Sathangadu) in 1708. These five villages were hence forward known as the 'Five New Towns'. Since then, Nungambakkam has been a part of Madras city. Public buildings and colleges rose in the 1850s.

In the early part of the 20th century, Nungambakkam rose as one of the upper-class European residential areas, housing civil servants and influential members of the city administration. The 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica records the presence of vast empty spaces and parks in Nungambakkam. Most of Nungambakkam's principal lanes, such as College Road, Haddows Road and Sterling Road, are over 100 years old and appear in a 1909 map of Madras city. Sterling Road consists of trees in both the sides, which is very rare to see in the heart of a metropolitan city. Pizza Hut, Pizza Corner, Coffee day Lounge, World of Titan, KFC, Reebok, NIKE, ADIDAS, Marrybrown, Just Born, Chicking, BASICS etc. all have opened their shops in Nungambakkam. Traffic is very high in Nungambakkam during peak hours (8am-11am & 6pm-9.30pm) due to various road junctions which connects some important places in Chennai city. There are a lot of ATMs and branches of various international banks such as Standard Chartered, Deutsche Bank etc..

In 1723, however, Nawab Sadatullah Khan began demanding the return of Nungambakkam along with five other villages, together with arrears in lease payments. But that was never to be. A redoubt was constructed here by the British by way of an advance guard for Fort St. George. This was demolished by the early 19 century by which time the British were undisputed overlords. Much of the area was under cultivation in 1798. That was also the era of the dubash and one of these was Subba Devanayaka Mudali. His eponymous grandfather had been dubash in the 1760s to Sir Eyre Coote, conqueror of Pondicherry. Since then, the family had been in the East India Company’s service. By 1820, the grandson is frequently mentioned in company records and is also referred to as the dharmakarta (trustee) of the Agastyeswara Temple, the Shiva shrine for the village of Nungambakkam.

The Women's Christian College was established in 1915. The Loyola College was established as an arts college in 1925.

General Info:- Source from Wikipedia & The Hindu.